Dambusters Memorial, Woodhall Spa
No. 617 Squadron RAF, the famous Dambusters, spent most of their war service on RAF Woodhall Spa. It was from this base that they took off to drop super-heavy Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs onto German U-boat pens, warships (such as Tirpitz), coastal gun installations etc.
The base does not exist anymore, it was abandoned in the 1960s. Only a small portion of buildings adjacent to a local road is still in use to maintain and test aero engines.
In 1987, a memorial was erected in the Woodhall Spa village. It resembles the squadron's badge and refers to the Dams Raid and commemorates all crew who gave their lives in the course of the Second World War. Later, another memorial was built nearby, being dedicated to all 617 Sqn members who have died since 1945.