Help needed: why so few documentary footnotes in Czech military historiography?

• Je možné zadat více jmen oddělených čárkou, nebo jen jejich části
Pro přidání nového příspěvku se přihlašte
1-3 z 3
Po
Honza M. 24.9.2015 22:16 - č. 3
Honza M.
Martin Haugland napsal(a) v č. 1:
" I have noticed there is a lack of documentary footnotes in much of the Czech military literature. Only a small number of books have them; some have just a few, while most books have none at all. Academic articles either have a lot, or none at all."
Of course, most of the military literature is the popular literature - intended for the large audiences and not for academic purposes

Czech academic articles (almost) always have footnotes.
egli 24.9.2015 19:47 - č. 2
egli
Martin Haugland napsal(a) v č. 1:
"What is the reason for this lack of documentary notes? Is this because many works simply aren't academic (or lack academic standard), or is there no strong tradition for documentary footnotes in books (unlike in Germany, for example, who are notorious for books with pages filled with footnotes)"
You are right that in many Czech books about Czechoslovak army 1938 there are no footnotes. I don't know the reason because footnotes have similar tradition here as it is in Germany... It may be that some books are more popular than academic, it may be financial reasons etc.

If you are looking for footnotes with sources, you can find many articles with footnotes about pre-war Czechoslovak army (from authors like J. Anger, R. Sander, E. Stehlík, P. Šrámek, P. Minařík, J. Fidler etc.) in the journal Historie a vojenství (History and military, published since 1952 by VHÚ)
Martin Haugland 24.9.2015 11:44 - č. 1
Hello,

I am kind of desperate, so I hope somebody in here can help with a question which has bugged me for a while now:

I am a history student at the University of Copenhagen, and I am writing my master dissertation on the military situation of the Munich crisis of 1938, with my focus on the German and Czechoslovak armies.

However, while there is a lot of books and academic articles on the subject, I have noticed there is a lack of documentary footnotes in much of the Czech military literature. Only a small number of books have them; some have just a few, while most books have none at all. Academic articles either have a lot, or none at all.

As an outsider, this puzzles me. What is the reason for this lack of documentary notes? Is this because many works simply aren't academic (or lack academic standard), or is there no strong tradition for documentary footnotes in books (unlike in Germany, for example, who are notorious for books with pages filled with footnotes)? While the former seems to be the obvious one, it seems like more academic-looking works also lack them, and even official works have few or no footnotes? This is weird to me, considering not only German and English academic litterature have them, but also Polish and Russian litterature.

I have tried contacting the VHÚ, but haven't received any answer from them so far.

I hope you can help me with this.

Thank you in advance!
1-3 z 3
Po